Vellayappam / Kallappam is a sort of pancake prepared using grinded rice and coconut fermented with yeast or toddy (Kallu).
- Rice – 1 cup
- Cooked rice – 2 tbsp
- Grated coconut – 1 ½ cup or coconut milk -½ cup
- Yeast -¼ tsp
- Sugar -2 tbsp
- Salt - As reqd
- Soak rice for atleast 4 hrs
- Make a batter of rice, coconut( or coconut milk)and cooked rice(idli batter consistency)
- Add yeast and sugar to warm water and dissolve.
- Add this to the batter and keep for about 6 hrs.
- Before making appam, add salt and little sugar.
- Heat a Dosa Pan(Dosa kallu).
- Spread some oil on the it.
- Pour a spoonful batter on the pan.
- Spread the batter to form a small circle.
- When one side is golden brown, turn the other side .