Pavakka / Bitter Gourd is a stomachic medicine, which serves to tone the stomach, improving its function and increasing appetite. It is also used as a medicine for diabetics. This bitter fruit can be used to prepare a variety of dishes including Thoran. The grated coconut in Thoran reduces the bitterness of the dish.
- Bittergourd/ Pavakka (finely Chopped) - 1 big
- Grated coconut - ½ Cup
- Finely Chopped Onion - 1 nos
- Finely sliced coconut - ¼ cup
- Green Chilly(Chopped) - 4 nos
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Red Chilly-2 nos
- Rice - 1tbsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and Red chilly and allow to splutter.
- Add rice and fry it.
- Once rice becomes crispy, add the chopped onion,green chilly and saute well till the Onion turns transparent.
- Add chopped Bitter gourd, sliced coconut,turmeric powder and Salt .
- Sprinkle water, cover the pan and let it cook.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Stir continuously till the water dries up.
- Add curry leaves and mix it.
Pavakka Thoran / Bitter Gourd Thoran can be served hot with Rice.